星期一, 6月 01, 2009

Sundown Marathon 2009

Completed: My first ever ULTRA marathon, 84km on 30th May 2009 started at 7pm in 12 hours 24 mins.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORTS, WITHOUT YOU ALL, WITHOUT THIS ACHIEVEMENT!
Result - official
Rank: 22/65
Chip Time: 12:20:08
Split Time: 1st 42km: 5:22:42 2nd 42km: 6:57:26 (Pit stop: 0:23:00)

Before the Ultra - JUST LOAD-LA

Had plenty of carbo-loading, beer-loading, love-loading, support-loading, energy-loading, joy-loading, etc etc…

Enjoyed the XO fish soup dinner with OX ambassadors in Singapore very much at China Town, yummy yummy ;) Thanks dudes!

The Ultra - JUST RUN-LA
1st 42km
I’ve been looking forward this moment to arrive, like a big day of my life with early and plenty of preparations. So lucky to have Tey, Farid and Ida to take MRT and taxi together to the starting point. We had our last preparation: put our baggage to baggage store, special need bag to ultra pit stop, drink some water, eat something and go toilet. Then, waiting for 7.00pm at the ‘starting point’. Tey and I were so blur to stand at the 42km starting line, no wonder not many people there, the crews just informed us to move to another starting line at very last minutes, I can only join in the pack about few minutes later.

I moved slowly, from sunset to sundown till totally dark, and the feeling of running an ultra marathon was getting stronger per every distance I ran. I kept reminded myself, slow is beautiful, keep the manageable pace so I could finish strong. There wasn’t any breeze, or just a very light one until sweat washed my vest, then I decided to take it off, wow, so refreshing!

My pace was so consistently *slow*, averagely 1:15 for every 10km. Good job, that’s my target pace. I had electrolytes replenishment from 5km onwards, all sports drink powder were filled in to all 4 fuel belt’s bottles without water, then asked water station volunteer’s favor to fill for me one a time. This seems to be a good strategy as it reduced the weight I carried and I was guaranteed to have enough electrolytes replenishment.

My feet started to give me problem not even to half way. Both feet were so pain, pain until I need to find soft ground to run. When I see green grass, didn’t care about the uneven surface and just ran on the softer ground. This pain led me to my knee pain. Sigh… I have to hold it for 21km till the pit stop at 2nd loop. I realized it was shoe matter, it was the same sign when I had my 46km training with this pair of shoe, Asics Cumulus 7.

As expected, if I can finish the first loop around 5:30 without much exhaustion, I was most likely to finish the ultra.

photo by adidas Singapore

Pit Stop
When I came in to the ‘finish line’, the clock showed 5:23:50. I still moving slowly, no rush, the journey was still long. After getting my special need bag, Frank and Tey waved to me, wow… so happy to see familiar faces there. I took my time to eat (GU gel), drink (Red Bull Gold), change (short & shoe) and refill, ended up too much time was spent.

Thanks Frank for having his camera at pit stop and snapped this memorable photo

2nd 42km
‘The actual race starts here’
This was how I told myself. I was so happy to put my feet again on the track with Asics GT2120, nice! Feet pain was significantly reduced, mood was remained high and even higher. I was very excited to run beyond 46km which was my longest distance during training. Basically, my form was extremely better than I’d expect.

I moved on with slightly slower pace, about 8’30min/km and kept talking to myself:
‘Keep going, don’t stop, journey is still long.’
‘You are executing your dream, at the same time it might be other people’s dream. So you can’t fail!’
I must ensure my mood remained good because the feel-good endorphin could reduce suffering. So I tried to sing, thought of few motivating and relaxing songs that I used to sing in my youth, recalled the sweet memories when I was the cadet reporter of Sin Chew although it was more than 10 years back.

That was left brain’s job when I recalled the memories, then I switched to right brain by imagination, any kind of imagination, scientific, funny, heroic, etc… as long as it filled my mind by keeping the suffering away.

The feeling of passing the 50km was so GREAT! I gave myself two thumbs up :) But in realistic, feet and knees pain raise to another level.

‘That’s OK, the pair of legs are not yours, so never mind.’ This was what I could tell myself.

When sleepiness came attacked, I took few sips of Red Bull Gold which contain very high level of sugar that can keep me awake, otherwise I had Pocari Sweat and GU2O as electrolytes replenishment and GU gel and Endurox as energy replenishment.

Entering Bedok Reservoir was what I had been expecting because I like running on the trail with a thin layer of sand. It makes the ground softer, and I feel like Kevin Lin Running The Sahara… :P

After Bedok Reservoir, I was about entering 30km mark (72km), wow… I couldn’t believe that I was still running and not walking (of cause with some walking breaks in between especially at water stations). Another two thumbs up for me. 31km… 32km… 33km… 34km… phew… I strongly felt that I’m going to hit the wall. In fact, my pace dropped much from 34km onwards, every km took so long to cover, and can’t even smile and can’t entertained myself anymore.

Courtesy of Onn & Tey for the picture

34km (76km), here’s where I running with extreme suffer. Still running slow or walking fast when legs were really tired, then run again and refused to stop. Because I found if I run after totally walk, my feet taking off and touching down the ground very painfully.

‘Ameba, you can’t fail, this is your 1st ultra marathon, and could be the one and only one ultra, so do it beautifully.’ I told myself.

It was dawn. The sun slowly rising up but I couldn’t see the beautiful sun rise. I was glad I finished 84km before the sun heating up the air. Finishing strong with the cheers of all people around there especially my beloved OX friends. Thanks dudes!

'Ultra Woman coming back!' Shouted Chong Wah loud and clear. Photo by Miow Chin

After the Ultra – JUST SLEEP & EAT-LA
I was so happy, although it was not a good timing or position, but I’ve achieved my target, and I fulfilled my dream. I couldn’t think much, just felt my feet and legs were so painful, whole body’s blood flow to the legs muscles instead of brain, so I was like walking like a zombie. After taking pictures, the 42km finishers enjoyed their breakfast while I have no appetite at all. Just finished the protein shake my recovery drink, then followed by a sandwich and egg tarts an hour later.

After getting back to hostel at Bugis, there was a lot of clearing and cleaning to do. Surprisingly I didn’t really feel sleepy. I think it was due to over limit until brain can’t function as normal and everything gone haywire. Anyway I still slept for 4 hours in the noon and 10 hours at night.

My feeling: Satisfaction and Happy. It's a mental thing :)

Congrats to all my buddies 42km finishers in the pictures, they have been waited for me for hours. Well Done!
Miow Chin, Rho Wen, Ameba, KL, Sam & Chong Wah holding the camera

23 則留言:

plee 提到...

Congratulations and very well done,Ameba! Gud time and gud to know u safely back.

慧沁 Wai Sum 提到...

congratulations!! very proud of you! Still looking strong finishing line! well done

Hoffen 提到...

Congratulation, while you are doing your Ultramarathon, Wai Sum and I were only doing our 30km run at bukit aman....haha. Great timing.

sohkeong 提到...

Salute ! 偶像 ! I knew you sure can do it !

blaze 提到...

I'm very happy for you. There's no doubt in my mind that you can do it.

I was doing my LSD on Sunday, and I thought of you running the Sundown. In the end, i managed to break through the 30km barrier.

Congrats!

johnybravo 提到...

congrats ameba...

Jason Yap 提到...

Congrats Ameba.

Sorry out of topic, may I know the shop you all bought your (good) fuel belts? I am tired of finding one.

khokl74 提到...

congrats Ameba, you are our ultrawoman.....

really salute you !

Pat 提到...

Ameba, We salute you! :)

OSK 提到...

;)

blueameba 提到...

Thanks ALL! Huggies to all of you ;)

Jason Yap, I bought the Nathan fuel belt from Choi who selling Saucony shoe. You can find his contact at http://seecube.blogspot.com/

Gaby 提到...

really salute..congraturation

eugene_chan 提到...

congratulation!!! that's a great breakthrough, next run will be 100km ya;-)

Lynn Guan 提到...

congrats ameba! Awesome job!

OSK 提到...

Tell you what...you mnake me cry, cry with happiness!!!

匿名 提到...

wah....the photo by Adidas one very the yao yeng wor.....sui!

~Miow

siewyeong 提到...

Congrats again. Pls continue to run ... :)

le_runner 提到...

bravo, ameba, bravo XD !!!

....will you return next year ? :P

Victor.

blueameba 提到...

kind of love ultra-running, hope to try other ultra in other country :)

doris 桃利思 提到...

Don't know what to say... except CONGRATULATIONS!

blueameba 提到...

Thank you all of you sincerely. Thanks for your messages and supports. Wish everyone Happy Running :)

Cheers,
ameba

匿名 提到...

i'm on my first marathon. Hope can march to full marathon in 2 years time. You are a WonderWoman :P

aronsoo 提到...

So Cool~ and So Amazing~
爱上你那惊人的 "坚持"和"毅力"...
Plan for next year go also if still got^^

jia you^^