I can only explain all these by ‘There is a Will, There is a Way’. When the force is being with you, any possible obstacles will give you the way to pass. I hope so… in fact is thank to the slowliness la, haha!
After running for a Very Long Run and a Back-to-Back, I feel them differently. Both cannot be running away from the ultramarathon training, but I'd also higly recommend for marathon training (when you are ready)! Just that the mileage/running hours don't need to be so long.
Very Long Run
- Need more time, says 4-5 hours in a single run
- Just suffer for 1 day
- Need more support such as water, supplement and courage (I drank 1.45l water & Gatorade in total, too much??)
- Have better simulation of how your body deals with the stress and long hours
- Muscle tissues damage more if you over push by running too fast
- Support Gears: Nathan Speed 4 (fuelbelt with 4 bottles, 295ml each), cap
Remarks: Dehydration was serious after 30km, water needed averagely 2km from 30-38km. It might/might not because of consuming Gatorade (which suppose to be rehydration isotonic drinks but I found it gave me more thirst after drinking it)
- Just need 2-3 hours in a single run but got to hold it for 2 days
- The first run might be relax, but need to be prepared for the next suffering session
- Minimum water support needed, but courage is important for the 2nd session
- Not really have the effect as you have full day rest after the first run
- Less chances of injury because the stress is split to 2 sessions
- Support Gear: 500ml water bottle by hand carry or Pacesetter’s bottle pouch
What in common are: Both workouts also tough if you are not ready for the distance; Both workouts tune your muscles that works for long distance running and enhance your endurance;
Recovery period is depending on how much effort you have put in the run(s).
I think Very Long Run has better and more benefits than Back-to-Back, but it is not a good idea if you do Very Long Run too frequently unless you are fit and free enough. I definitely prefer combination both workouts every 4-week period, either 2 x Very Long Run + 1 x B2B + 1 x LSD or 1 x Very Long Run + 2 x B2B + 1 x LSD, depend on physical fitness on the week.